SME Bank Sandbox Competition
SME Bank Sandbox Competition 2023
SME Bank Sandbox Competition 2023 is an opportunity to discover innovative business ideas that can have a real and meaningful environment, social and economic impact.
It is a chance for entrepreneurs and innovators to showcase their creativity and come up with unique solutions to the challenges of today's world. Participants will be asked to present their ideas, which will then be evaluated by a panel of experts.
The best ideas will receive recognition and could potentially be implemented in the real world, making a positive difference in people's lives.
Key Themes and Topics
The competition calls for the submission of any business model and/or idea related to one or more of the seven (7) SDG 12 - Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) themes listed below, that addresses problems within the Malaysian context in areas such as, but not limited, to Agriculture, Sustainable Food Production, Food Recycling and Food Waste, Healthcare and Safety, Renewable (Alternative) Energy, Sustainable Energy Consumption, Sustainable Tourism, Digitalisation and IT & Societal and Financial Inclusion.
The 7 SDG-12 themes are:
|12.2||Sustainable management and efficient use of natural resources.|
|12.3||Improve per capita global food waste at the retail and consumer levels and reduce food losses along production and supply chains, including post-harvest losses.|
|12.4||Achieve environmentally sound management of chemicals and all wastes throughout their life cycle, in accordance with agreed international frameworks, and significantly reduce their release to air, water and soil in order to minimise their adverse impacts on human health and the environment.|
|12.5||Reduce waste generation through prevention, reduction, recycling and reuse.|
|12.7||Promote public procurement practices that are sustainable, in accordance with national policies and priorities.|
|12.B||Develop and implement tools to monitor sustainable development impacts for sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products.|
|12.C||Rationalise inefficient fossil-fuel subsidies that encourage wasteful consumption by removing market distortions, in accordance with national circumstances, including by restructuring taxation and phasing out those harmful subsidies, where they exist, to reflect their environmental impacts, taking fully into account the specific needs and conditions of developing countries and minimising the possible adverse impacts on their development in a manner that protects the poor and the affected communities.|
Terms and Conditions
- Public aged 18 and above.
- Currently running your own business or have an innovative business idea that meets the objective of the competition.
- Open to all nationals, however each team must consist of at least 51% Malaysian members.
- Foreign nationals must have a valid residential address in Malaysia or have a plan to start a business in Malaysia in the future.
- College and Universities
- Aged 17 and above.
- Currently pursuing your A-Levels to Bachelor's Degree in local public or private institutions of higher learning.
- You may already be running your own business or have an innovative business idea that meets the objective of the competition.
- Your team may consist of international students provided that each team consist of at least 51% Malaysian members.
- International students must have a valid residential address in Malaysia.
Pre E-learning Course
A total of 40 finalists (20 teams from each category) will be selected and will have the opportunity to participate in 'SME Bank Sandbox Competition 2023'.
Application Form and Submission of Proposal
- Submitted Documents will undergo preliminary screening based on 'SME Bank Sandbox Competition 2023’ application form requirements.
- Application must be written in ENGLISH.
- Each team should consist of minimum of 3 team members and a maximum of 5.
- Please complete the form to participate. Incomplete or late submissions will not be accepted.
- The Pre E-learning course materials will help you learn the basics and guide you to write a better business proposal.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a video of maximum 2 minutes in length explaining your business idea.
- Submission Deadline: 25 June, 2023 (11:59 PM)
- Only 20 teams from each category will be selected to go to the Final Pitching session.
- Announcement of the finalists will be made on our social media platforms and the organiser will be in touch with the selected teams.
3 Days Online Bootcamp Training
- The 40 finalists will undergo an Online Bootcamp training on "Understanding SCP & Business Model".
- The chosen teams will receive a comprehensive training and coaching by the Center of Entrepreneur Development and Research, CEDAR, a subsidiary of SME Bank on developing your business idea further.
- You will be requested to review your business model and link it to the SCP. The training will help you further develop/enhance your own Sustainable Business Model. The training modules include lectures and workshops, mentoring, team activity, and demo day.
SME Bank Sandbox 2023 Final Pitching
- SME Bank Sandbox Final Pitching
- 15 minutes business pitching (10 minutes presentation and 5 minutes Q&A) to a panel of qualified judges.
- All teams have to submit a 3–5 minute video explaining your business idea.
- SME Bank and/or affiliates will not be responsible or liable for any loss in connection with the competition, including, but not limited to the following:
- Any problem, loss or damage of whatsoever nature suffered by any party due to any delay and/or failure in receiving and sending the submission as a result of any network, communication or system error, interruption and/or failure experience by the participating internet line and/or resulting from participation or the downloading of any materials in the competition.
- Any problems, expenses, damages, losses, suits and claims of whatsoever nature against any participants that may arise from or in connection with their participation in the competition and/or display of participants’ entries.
- Any error (including error in notification of competition winners), omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, internet line failure, theft, destruction of, or unauthorized access to entries, unresponsive devices whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions, virus, bugs or other causes outside it’s control.
- By entering the competition, participants shall agree to appear in any marketing and promo materials on the but not limited to internet, videos, and photographs write-ups which may be used in advertising (any form of media) or other materials by SME Bank, their sponsors and/or affiliates. Participants shall not be entitled to any payment for such use, or for any re-use; and acknowledge that all copyright, including the right to reproduce likeness or image shall belong to SME Bank and/or affiliates absolutely; and to release and discharge SME Bank, their sponsors and/or affiliates from any claims in relation to the use or re-use of all copyright including any likeness or image.
- SME Bank reserves right to disqualify any individual that it determines to be tampering with the application process of the operation of the competition, to be acting in breach or potential breach of this competition’s Terms and Conditions.
- SME Bank reserves the right to cancel, modify, suspend or delay the competition in the event of unforeseen circumstances beyond its reasonable control.
- By participating in this competition, all participants hereby warrant that all statements personal details given are true, correct, and accurate and that they have read and understood all the Terms and Conditions of the competition and agree to unconditionally bind by it.
- By participating in this competition, all participants agree to defend, indemnify and hold SME Bank, their sponsors and/or affiliates harmless from and against any suits, claims, losses, damages and expenses, including reasonable legal fees that may arise from or in connection with the competition.
- SME Bank reserves the right to change, amend, delete or add any of these Terms and Conditions without prior notice and the participants will be bound to such changes.
- Any Terms and Conditions applicable to this competition which is illegal, prohibited or unenforceable under any law or regulation shall be ineffective to the extent of such illegality, voidness, prohibition or unenforceability without invaliding the remaining provisions.
- These Terms and Conditions are governed by and construed under the laws of Malaysia.
- For any inquiries, kindly contact [email protected].
|College & Universities||www.surveymonkey.com/r/SMEBankSandbox2023UniversityCollege|
|Winning Prizes||Open||College / University|
Who can join the competition?
SME Bank Sandbox Competition 2023 is open to the public. The competition is divided into two categories, Open and College/University. A team with at least 3 members and has an innovative Sustainable Consumption and production (SCP) solution or a feasible SCP strategy for their business/startup can participate in this competition.
What stage of an idea can we submit in the SME Sandbox Competition 2023?
Whether you are a startup or even just at the idea-stage, you are welcome to join the competition. Please refer to the competition Terms and Conditions for further details.
We have a business idea, but it is not related to SDG or Sustainable Businesses. Can we join the SME Sandbox Competition 2023?
Unfortunately, No. We only accept business proposal and/or idea that is related to SDG 12: Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Is there an age limit in joining the SME Sandbox Competition 2023?
There is no maximum age limit for participants who are interested to join the SME Sandbox Competition 2023. Please refer to the competition Terms and Conditions for further details.
Can non-Malaysian join the SME Sandbox Competition 2023?
Yes, but the non-Malaysian member must have a residential address in Malaysia. Your team must also comprise of a minimum 51% Malaysian.
Can the team submit more than one application?
No, each team can only submit one application. If the team submits the form several times, only the latest submitted version will be considered.
What is the screening criteria?
The business idea must be relevant to UN SDG 12 and must demonstrate tangible solutions to achieve at least one of the SDG 12 targets. Please refer to the Key Themes and Topics.
Can the team change the member composition?
Yes, but the team leader should notify the updated information to SME Sandbox Competition 2023 Secretariat ([email protected]).